Leongatha is the commercial and civic centre of South Gippsland.
Leongatha is the commercial and civic centre of South Gippsland. Servicing local residents and some of the smaller surrounding communities, Leongatha offers boutique shopping in a pleasant country setting. A good selection of shops extend along both sides of the wide boulevards of Bair Street and McCartin Street. Where these two roads meet are some of Leongatha’s oldest buildings including the Post Office (built in 1887), Court House (1912) and Mechanics Institute (1912) which now serves as a local history museum. Memorial hall, which is undoubtedly one of Leongatha’s most impressive buildings, was built between 1925 and 1926. Today it functions as a community hall, citizens advice bureau and art and craft gallery.
Things to see and do
Leongatha is located approximately two hours drive from Melbourne on the South Gippsland Highway. V/Line bus services are available for travel.
Leongatha was first settled on a cleared area of land on the western edge of the Strzelecki Ranges in 1845. The area was originally known as Koorooman but was renamed Leongatha in 1891 after the arrival of the railway stimulated further settlement.
– ANZ, 34 Bair Street
– Bendigo Bank, 12 McCartin Street
– Commonwealth Bank, 42 McCartin Street
– NAB, 23 McCartin Street
– Robobank, 16 Anderson Street
– Westpac, 28 Bair Street
Apex Caravan Park – fees apply
66 Koonwarra Road
Library, 2 Smith Street
Community House, 16 Bruce Street
McDonald’s, Anderson Street (South Gippsland Hwy)
Ezyas Car Wash & Laundrette, 5 Stockyard Lane
2 Smith Street
Internet access available
Opening hours; Mon-Friday 10-6, Sat 10-1
Long Vehicle Parking
South Gippsland Hwy wayside stop, available on the western side of Anderson St from Alison St to Smith St
Leongatha Nextra Newsagency, 30 Bair Street
Parks & Playgrounds
Leongatha Recreation Reserve, 52 Roughhead Street
– Skate Park
– Playground (Toilets, BBQ)
McIndoe Park, Cnr. Turner Street & Bent Street (Toilets, playgound, rotunda, BBQs)
Centenary Park, Cnr Anderson Street & McCartin Street (Toilets, seats)
– BP, 95 Bair Street
– BP, 7 Anderson Street (Sth Gippsland Hwy)
– Caltex Safeway Petrol, 20-22 Anderson Street (Sth Gippsland Hwy)
– Nagel’s Pharmacy, 10-14 Bair Street
– Terry White Chemist, 42 Bair Street
Leongatha’s Australia Post, 4 McCartin Street
Supermarkets & Liquor
– Aldi, 8-10 Bruce Street
– Michael’s IGA, Cnr. Church & Bruce Street
– Michael’s IGA Highway Liquor, Anderson Street
– Monacellars, 2 Bair Street
– Woolworths, Smith Street (Cnr. Peart Street)
– The population of Leongatha is approximately 4,500.
– Leongatha is located approximately 130 kilometres south-east of Melbourne.
– View art and craft at Leongatha Gallery
– Enjoy a swim at ‘Splash’ aquatic centre
– Walk or ride the Great Southern Rail Trail
– Watch a movie at Stadium 4 Cinema
– Take a joy flight with Woorayl Air Services
– Have a hit of golf at Leongatha Golf Course
– Daffodil Festival (September)
– Leongatha Rotary Art Show (October)
– Native Flower Show (October)
– Leongatha Rose Spectacular (November)
Various events are regularly held in Leongatha, and the town's Daffodil Festival is an annual highlight.